Our kitchen is only wide enough for one person. To say that we have very modern appliances is quite a stretch. The plates on this stove are hot, hotter, and hottest. It makes such weird noises that when we are not using it, we turn it off at the circuit breaker. On Friday evening I heated up some stew and turned both burners on on the left side. When I was through I turned the left knob off and the light went out. That knob controls the front left burner. The left back burner was still on but the light in front, the knob second to the left, that shows whether it is on or off is burned out. Any way when I was through I turned the power off at the circuit breaker. On Saturday in the early afternoon Karen decided to bake a cake. not knowing that the back left burner was on. I didn't mention that there is a glass cover that goes over the top of these burners. Karen was only going to use the oven so the cover was over the burners. After she had made the cake, which was quite good, she put it in the oven. She had been working there in the kitchen close to an hour and when the cake was in the oven she turned away out of the kitchen area for just a second when that glass cover suddenly exploded sending hundreds of little glass fragments everywhere. We feel that it was devine intervention that she wasn't seriously injured. If it would have happened just seconds before or after Karen would have been over the stove.